Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Company Best

We have friends from Ohio coming to stay a few days. I have been a baking/cleaning fool. I made chocolate covered pretzels, double chocolate brownies, and S'more Whoopie pies. I think that I have everything done except for picking up the girls toys (which I will do before naptime). It is too freaking hot to do anything though. We plan on going to the fair tonight, but I doubt we will stay for too long. The heat index is supposed to be 115 today! I am so incredibly thankful for air conditioning and my ceiling fans. Even with baking the house hasn't gotten that bad. My flowers though, they look horrible. Poor things. We've been watering the grass every day, but it isn't looking so hot either. I am waging a war against crabgrass, but I am not winning. Sigh. Oh well, at least nothing is completely dead yet. The grass won't get watered tomorrow, because we are going to Indy. We had planned on going to the zoo, but with this heat I think we are going to the Children's Museum instead. I haven't been there in years. Hopefully Gracie will enjoy it. The bouncy house (ball pit) is also air conditioned and Gracie loves it. I've already told her that the Gabbas will not be going into the ball pit though. I am NOT looking for them. If only she could teach them how to clean the house and water the yard.


Helping Daddy bake. 
S'More Whoopie Pies (makes about two dozen)
3/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cup flour
1 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs (I crumbled about 20 crackers)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cinnamon
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Cream butter and sugars. Beat in egg, milk, and vanilla. Combine flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon, gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop by tablespoons onto baking sheets. Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes. Remove to wire racks. Fill when cooled.

Filling:
1/2 cup white shortening
2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup marshmallow cream
1 tsp vanilla
3-4 tsp milk

Cream sugar and shortening together. Beat in remaining ingredients. Spread between cookies. (My cookies needed refrigerated for the cream to set).

No comments:

Post a Comment